Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Cardboard Cutouts

Yesterday, I helped Phil move the rest of the stuff out of the middle bedroom so he has room to work. Then he made cardboard cutouts of a toilet and shower walls. He put these in place so we could get a feel for how the space will be used. We have decided to go with a large shower 56 x 36 instead of 48 x 36. Just feels better in the room. That knocks us down to one sink but I think that is okay. We are living well with one sink now. It's the single toilet that is killing us. No, not all the time. Just sometimes.

Anyway, Phil said he was going to Home Depot for supplies but he never made it. I suspect the same will happen today unless I make the move for the door myself. We'll see what happens.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Back to Work



Finally, we are back to work. The middle bedroom and the back bedroom had closets on a shared wall. Phil removed the middle bedroom closet to expose the wall. Then he built a wall dividing the middle bedroom. This effectively framed in the master bedroom closet. As you can see from the picture to the left, the doorway to the hall is still there. Phil has cut a new opening in the sheetrock to the master bedroom but I don't think he plans to close the original doorway until he gets the new doorway framed in.




Now Phil is removing the closet on the other side (the one that shared the wall with the first. it opened into the middle bedroom). The old closet had a lot built in shelves and drawers--cute but non-functional. First step was to remove all that and the framing for the old closet. Then he put in studs for the new wall. This second picture shows the subfloor (under old closet area). Today he will be removing the back wall of the closet and building up the wall between the two bedrooms.




The end result will be a closet for the master bedroom that is 4 x 12 ft. and a master bath that is 6.5 x 12 ft. We will take an old utility closet that opens into the hall and turn that into a small closet for the guest bedroom. For now the closet that Phil has framed in is holding construction debri as shown in the photo at left. You are viewing the interior of the new closet. Phil was able to place a shelf unit I made into the wall. Will be great for holding deoderant, perfume, etc.



We did have one happy discovery so far. Even though we both measured several times, it appears we are going to have an extra 6 inches in the master bathroom. Hence the 6.5 foot measurement. That extra 6 inches has us rethinking the layout to the bathroom. Fortunately we do not have to have any answers just yet. After we clear all the debri and are left with an empty room we will make templates from cardboard and shuffle them about. We'll see what falls out.

Deb