Saturday, August 9, 2008

Tile

The desk is a hit already! Phil and I quickly moved in and claimed our spots. It is wide enough that we can work at the desk together without being in each other's way. Woohoo!! We love it. And there is plenty of room for a dining room table. The space for the dining room is about 10 x 10. When we have company, we'll put the computers away and use the desk as a serving bar.

One challenge for us will be to resist dumping things on the end of the desk. You can see that we have already begun doing that. It is awfully easy to do. We will also need to get two chairs...alike. But that is later. Now we are working on tile.

Phil first laid out the pantry and under the kitchen appliances to get the hang of tiling. Then he tiled most of the kitchen. Today I tried my hand at tiling. Damn! That's hard work. I am convinced that if a tiler ever demands that you do something for him...do it! Tilers have got to have tremendous physical stamina and upper body strength that is to die for. On the other hand, we got a good bit of tile laid for a couple of wimpy book worms.

You can see from the photo on the left that it is going to look pretty good. this pic was taken from the front door. We laid all the tiles with the dots on them today. We put the dots on them so we will remember not to step on them.

We have also put tiles out for Monday's work. They're the ones without the dots (to the right of the cat). We also put out the tiles which run at a 90 degree angle to that long run you see from the front door. We have them laid out just so we can stay on track. With this long a run of tile it would be easy to get out of line and make the whole thing look like amateurs laid the tile. So we are trying really hard to keep everything square as possible.

You can't see it but we have little spacers between the tiles. That helps us line them up properly. They hurt when you step on them in your bare feet, too.

I've been unpacking book boxes. I am trying to put the books out in some logical order. Not Dewey Decimal System or anything like that but by type: Theology, all Biblical References, Biographies, History, World Culture, Computer, Novels, etc. Within category by author or editor. That makes putting books up a bit slower than I would like but I would like to have some order to them, if possible. I'll get back to unpacking and organizing books after we finish the tile, though. Tile has got to take priority. School starts week after next for Phil and that means that I will do what I can and then save the hard stuff for him for weekends. He'll love that. On the other hand, I may be pressed to learn how to do some things I would not have tried. I'll love that.

Deb



1 comment:

Jackie said...

Well, look at you guys go! In no time at all :) you will be all finished, completely unpacked and loving your "new" space. God bless you both!
I look forward to catching up after our trip.
Love and kisses, Jackie